Monday, July 6, 2015

The New Experiences You Never Heard About

Hello! So if you read this blog regularly you may have noticed that I skipped the last THREE Saturday posts, which are supposed to be where I recount my new experiences. I have been having new experiences, in fact, I have been seeking them out and doing exciting stuff. But I haven't been writing about it. Why? I'm lazy and I suck.

But never fear! I've decided that finally, I'm going to go back and do a little something for each of my new experiences that I never wrote about here. Since I like making playlists and picking out weird pictures and stuff, I'm going to pick songs and cool pictures from my Pinterest account (I finally gave in and got one. There's a lot of cool recipes!) for each of the new experiences that I never wrote about. So here you go:

March 21: Writing my first resume
I wrote my first resume for the purpose of finally applying to internships. It wasn't so hard since I've had some jobs before. It looked super unprofessional and crappy but luckily the content was pretty solid so I managed to get an internship for the summer in the end.

The mood of writing this resume was... anxiety-inducing, but kind of easy. So I guess the song I'd have to pick is... "The Pit" by Mouse Rat. Because much like Andy Dwyer, I have no experience in being a grown-up. I would probably just fall in a pit.

And this picture from my "Faded" board represents my mood of feeling like I am staring into the void of jobs that I could have.







April 4: Watching Disney's Hercules for the first time while eating healthy popcornThe popcorn is important, because I had my pick of disgusting unhealthy snacks, yet I instead chose a giant bag of healthy popcorn. It didn't even have butter! Anyway, the movie was great, too. One of my favorites from Disney for sure. In case you're wondering, yes, I did watch this instead of doing homework.

The song I'll pick is obviously the amazing "I Won't Say I'm in Love" from the movie. It has nothing to do with my experience of watching it, except that it's a great song, from the movie I watched.

The picture I'm picking is one of a girl reading on the toilet because it represents the mood of me sitting on my dorm bed and eating junk food and watching animated movies, which I did a lot.



May 16: Going to the Wine Library's free sample event to taste cheese and baked goods
So there's a place in my town called the Wine Library, and I don't like wine, but FREE CHEESE. I'll take free cheese any day. It was really good, by the way. It was kinda crowded but the cheese and other free stuff was pretty good.

The song I'm picking is "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons because eating free cheese kind of puts you on top of the world.

And this picture is of fancy puff pastry tarts. There were no puff pastry tarts at the event, but it was a similar level of fancy-ness to this picture:



June 6: First cooking lesson with Rachel, taught by my mom. We made lemony lentils.
I did write a little bit about this in one of my blog posts, but I'll write about it again. My mom is great at cooking and me and my best friend Rachel are not. So we're doing weekly cooking lessons. In the first one, we made a veg version of a traditional Persian dish that we call "lemony lentils." It was delicious.

I'm going to put the song "Kitchen Door" by Wolf Larsen here. The mood of the song is a bit gloomy but I like it and it has the word "kitchen" in it, and, we were in the kitchen. (You can see how seriously I'm taking this playlist-making task.)

And I've chosen this picture of a market selling herbs and other foods, because we used a lot of herbs and we could have bought them at an outdoor market, who knows? (We didn't.)



June 20: Visiting an old Revolutionary War cemetery, and watching the TV show Sense8.
I had two new experiences that week! So two songs, and two pictures! Aren't you excited?
The first experience was going to a very old cemetery in my town. Even though my town is tiny and it sucks, it played an essential part in the American Revolution, in that we had one battle here. So we have an old cemetery near the church with gravestones dating back to the eighteenth century and there are some soldiers from the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 buried there. After me and my best friend Rachel got pizza that day, we went and saw it. It was super cool.

The song I'm picking is "Falling Snow" by Lotte Kestner, because the cemetery was so peaceful, and it would be beautiful in the winter, I'm sure.

And the picture is this beautiful photo of what is apparently the resting place of King Arthur, according to Pinterest.



My other new experience that week was watching the AMAZING new TV show Sense8. After trying to rewatch it with my parents I realize that it has numerous flaws but when I first watched it I couldn't get enough of it. Just watched the whole thing within several days. It's a Netflix show so they release seasons at a time. I recommend it if you like stories with a lot of characters.

The song I picked for this experience is the Sense8 theme song, which I guess is kind of obvious. It's a very pretty (and long) song that sounds about as exciting and interesting as the show is.

And this picture has a lot of people in it, and the show is about the connections between a lot of people. Meh. I'm bad at this picture thing.
 


June 27: Helping put together and attending a "Shabbat South of the Border" with the local Chabad
Chabad, for those of you who don't know, is a Jewish organization that helps create Jewish communities around the world. My mom is pretty involved with the local Chabad and she came up with an idea for a Shabbat dinner- a Mexican-themed dinner. Well, naturally, I decided to help, because a) food and b) learning opportunity! I did a bunch of research about the Mexican Jewish community and gave a presentation at the dinner. I also helped prepare a lot of the food. The dinner itself was super fun and I ate way too much.

The song I'm choosing is "Bem Bem Maria" by Gipsy Kings because it was stuck in my head the whole three days I was helping prepare the food. It's from a movie my dad likes and it plays during a scene in Mexico, so I guess that's why.

The picture I chose is this picture of a woman in a boat with flowers, because it's colorful and cheerful, which was the general mood of the dinner.



July 4: Starting Camp NaNoWriMo
I've probably talked on this blog about NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) before. If not, basic rundown: write 50,000 words of a novel in a month, that month being November. But there is also a Camp NaNoWriMo, which is in April and July, where you write any word-count goal of a novel within a month. So, I decided to finally get my act together on the second draft of The Wishmaker and do it for Camp NaNo. Yes, for those of you keeping track, this is the third NaNo event I have done for this novel. It may not be the last, either. (But I really hope it is.) I've actually never done Camp NaNo before, which makes this a new experience!

I decided to pick the obvious song for this, which is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, the universal writer life song.

And I've decided on this picture from my "Wishmaker Aesthetic" board, where I keep pictures that match the aesthetic "feel" of The Wishmaker. It has a book in it, so it also relates to Camp NaNo.



So, that's it! I've caught up with the experiences I didn't write about! Ha-ha! I hope you enjoyed at least some of this post. Do not feel pressured to listen to all those songs!

Thanks for reading, and see you on Wednesday,
Ariel

1 comment: